Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Barbra Walters Has Nothing on my View

I live on one of the top-most floors in this thirty-floor building. What you see here is my bedroom, which (as you see) just beyond is a small enclosed porch-type area looking out onto the heart of Seoul. I have dividers that I can pull down to block the sunlight, providing me access to darkness when I need it (for sleep, etc.).
This second photo was taken by me, looking out of my room's window. I decided it would be appropriate to present these photographs in the largest format possible, to give you as much of an idea as possible just how MASSIVE the environment I live in is (though these photographs can by no means capture it completely). At the busy points of the day that street below (it has no name, if you recall) can get pretty busy, but I will say that it is never clogged or symptomatic of what is known as a "traffic jam" common in a location such as New York City. More on the differences in Korean road and traffic laws later.

Finally, below I present to you the more up-looking spectrum of the horizon visible from my room's perspective. Though you cannot see it here, to the left of that taller building on the left side of the picture is a large field of trees, which is a sort of park. You can actually see here, to the left of that same building, an open field with a walkway on it, which leads to a temple- this is part of that park. When I have some time I will explore that park with more up-close pictures. For now, I will simply say that this is an absolutely wonderful sight to percieve when I wake up each morning, and I truly cannot think of a more suitable way to begin each day.

4 comments:

  1. wow, the fotos are quite effective in communicating the feel of the city...so much to explore below!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking! How long's the elevator ride? Does Domino's deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No domino's here but there is pizza hut, papa johns, and a place thats not bad called red hat. The elevator ride is usually pretty quick, maybe 30 seconds? occasionally, at busy times of the day, it can take a while for the elevator to get to you. but, usually, no complaints! there are tv screens in the elevators that play advertisements most of the day, so there's something to look at. now all i gotta do is learn the korean language..

    ReplyDelete